Thursday, December 17, 2009

Condolences to the family, friends and students of Grandmaster Byung Yul Lee

Grandmaster Byung Yul Lee

I recently learned that Grandmaster Byung Yul Lee of the World Taekwondo Academy in Maple Grove, Minnesota has passed away. Grandmaster Lee was a 9th Dan and a life long supporter of Taekwondo.

Here is an article form the USA Taekwondo website: USAT Saddened at Passing of Grandmaster Byung Yul Lee

Grandmaster Lee was guest examiner for my 2nd, 4th and 5th Dan Kukkiwon tests. In one particularly memorable moment near the end of my 4th Dan examination, Grandmaster Lee asked me during kyupka (breaking) to perform a backside kick break and do it as a speed break. To add a little pressure he told me if I break I pass and if I do not I fail. Backside kick is not particularly difficult but doing it as a speed break through multiple boards is another story and that is how he wanted it done. Fortunately at the time I did not know that it was difficult and I had been working my backside kicks more than usual in the months leading up to the test. So at that moment I did not consider the "fail" side of the equation and saw it as an opportunity to pass. I hit it on the 1st attempt. Grandmaster Lee then told me he had gotten the same break on his 4th Dan examination. Looking back on it, Grandmaster Lee reinforced a lesson; if you are prepared you can succeed.

Our ATF family extend our condolences to the family, friends and students of Grandmaster Byung Yul Lee.

Henk Boese

No comments: